Article from Dr. Randy Baze's newsletter by Rodney Williams
when your spine deviates from the idea curvatures, your body movement dynamic changes. when your change the dynamics of body motion, you effect the nervous system. when you change the nervous system, you effect to function of every cell in the body. It changes the way your body chemistry is functioning and this can have an overall effect on your health.
Dr Rodger Niemi
Renaissance Chiropractic Center
4902 Tacoma Mall Blvd
Tacoma WA 98409
5 Ways Poor Posture Can Limit Height Growth
Many posture problems exist that people pick up over the years and may not even realize they have. These could lead to pain, especially back pain, and as far as height is concerned, can make us not only physically shorter, but appear shorter as well. Some of the most common posture problems are looked at below.
1. Walking posture - This is an easy one to get into bad habits with, probably the one which is the hardest to break, and also the one which is discussed the least of the three major ones, the other two of which are looked at next. It's often assumed that proper sitting posture and to a lesser extent, sleeping posture, can be taught, while walking is just something we naturally do, and cannot be changed or critiqued. Poor walking posture is quite common for this reason.
Breaking this habit can be difficult, and will take a concerted effort to break. The subject should practice walking with their shoulders tensed and forcibly held back, head held high, making a mental note of where their eye level is. Getting in the practice of doing this should make it easier to recognize when they're walking improperly, at which point they can consciously correct it until it becomes second nature and replaces the old, bad habit.
2. Sitting Posture - These posture issues are also very common, and as more and more people sit behind a computer for a living, their possible consequences and reach grows. The computer monitor, keyboard and chair should all be set in positions that all but force the user to sit in an upright position. LCD monitors are good for this, as they force a consistent eye level be maintained to get a good view of the screen. Any slouching and the user should know it immediately.
3. Sleeping Posture - The one people would generally be the least aware of, and also the one that would seemingly be the most difficult to break, though this isn't the case. By properly utilizing pillows, by removing them when sleeping on one's back and by sticking them between the legs when sleeping on the side, bad sleeping posture can be limited with little effort.
4. Bow Legs and Knock Knees - These conditions develop early, and are not as easily cured. A doctor visit will probably be necessary, at which point special insoles or footwear that can help break the problem will probably be prescribed.
5. Scoliosis - This is a serious condition, in which the spine is severely curved, resulting in a drastic loss of height, as well as other health ailments. In mild cases, Scoliosis can be corrected with the proper stretching exercises. In extreme cases, surgery may be needed to correct it.
Improved posture can not only result in increased height, it can improve our health in other areas, and proper posture also makes you appear more professional to others. Snap out of your bad habits today, and kick them to the curb.